Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is an American fantasy film directed by the eccentric Tim Burton and released in the end of September 2016, based on a 2011 novel with the same title by Ransom Riggs.
First Impression
The first thing that caught my attention is that this movie stars Asa Butterfield as Jake aka the main character. I love Asa Butterfield in almost all of his previous movies, especially in Hugo and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, and I think he's cool. The second thing is that Tim Burton directs this movie. I think Tim Burton makes some awesome movies like Big Fish and Big Eyes, but there are some of his movies that I'm not a big fan of (like, for example, Alice Through the Looking Glass), so I wasn't really sure what to expect from this movie, but the marketing is pretty convincing that this is a cool dark fantasy movie.
Plot & Whatnot
When tragedy strikes close to home, 16-year-old Jacob "Jake" Portman is forced to travel to a Welsh island filled with mystery in order to discover the truth of what really happened. Jake's ordinary life takes an extraordinary turn as the childhood fairytales he heard from his grandfather start to become more plausible. After stumbling into what seems to be a different world, Jake is introduced to the extraordinary Miss Peregrine and her peculiar children at Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. But when what seems to be a fairy tale takes a horrific turn, Jake is forced to make a life-altering decision in order to protect the ones he loves from the monsters of his grandfather's past, the creepy Hollows and the dangerous Wights led by the terrifying Mr. Barron. - WikipediaConsidering this movie is based on a novel, I think the plot execution is a bit messy and rushed. I remember having questions left in my head most of the time the screen shifts to a new scene, because it didn't give me enough time to think things through from one scene to another. I also felt like some of the most promising characters in this movie didn't get enough screen time.
The good thing about this movie is that it has a dark comedy fairytale vibe going on through the movie, which is what this movie is supposed to be like, and that's the most important thing. There are also lots of nice, intriguing shots supporting the story.
Performances
I can't decide which performance is my favourite because the interesting characters have quite a bit of screen time, but if I really have to pick, I'd pick Eva Green as Miss Peregrine because I think she makes the most out of her role.
Likes and Dislikes
What I like about this movie are the characters and cinematography. The peculiar children with their own unique abilities are very entertaining to watch, and how they team up to solve the problems they're facing against the Hollows and Mr Barron. The cinematography always has the dark fantasy vibe showing on screen.
What I dislike is the rushed plot as I mentioned before. It didn't give the audience enough time to really digest all the information before switching to another scene, and some characters didn't have time to explore what they're capable of due to limited screen time.
In the end...
Overall, I think people can enjoy this movie, but if you like to think things through a lot, you might ask some questions throughout the movie. So I'm gonna give this movie 6 badges out of 10.
I'm so sorry if this review is not so good or very short, but I promise I'll get better and I'll try to think about how to make my reviews more interesting next time. Thank you for reading, and I hope I'll see you in my next post! :)





No comments:
Post a Comment